Friday, April 25, 2008

High Time For Change

I think it is way over due that the federal government decriminalizes marijuana. It is utterly ridiculous that you can walk into a liquor store buy a fifth of hard alcohol and a pack of cigarettes, swing by the pharmacy pick up a slew of prescription drugs for every ailment you could ever imagine, and then have to illegally purchase a joint. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. The effects of alcohol are much worse than marijuana and I highly doubt any one would even argue that. I don’t even want to get into the stats let’s just say there is a lot. It could be federally taxed and monitored and ultimately safer. With all the crime in this country and overcrowding of jails doesn’t it make sense to free up a little bit of manpower and real-estate? I mean what would the police force do with all that extra time? My guess would be, apprehend more bad guys and less pot heads. I have children and I absolutely don’t want my kids to grow up to be pot heads, nor do I want them to be alcoholics. At least if it were legal I wouldn’t have to worry about them interacting with some drug dealer so they could experiment with some pot. In addition it would probably reduce the chance that they would smoke something that was laced with who knows what. From my high school days it was much easier to find pot (illegal) than it was to get alcohol (legal). Hmmm so what would happen if pot were legal????? I’m guessing the drug dealers would go out of business because you would be able to get it on every corner and since I’m guessing the legal age would be 21 (like alcohol) it would probably become more difficult for kids to obtain. Every year there are stories of college kids who die of alcohol poisoning. How often do you see a headline of someone overdosing on THC? I don’t know about you, but I’ve personally never seen that headline. Currently when my child turns eighteen if he so chooses he can start the process of giving himself lung cancer ,emphysema, heart problems, liver disease, etc., etc. but if he wants to get stoned and devour a bag of chips he could end up in jail. I don’t know what else I can say other than it just DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

Jason Lundin

1 comment:

Ashley Allen said...

I agree with the Home of The Brave History’s article “High Time for Change” that the federal government should decriminalize marijuana. Not only does it not make any sense, but all evidence points to positive effects of legalized marijuana. First of all no negative effects can be found from a medical standpoint. Not only is the drug not a physically addictive drug, but it has actually been found that it can be GOOD for health purposes, for example, medical marijuana. On the other hand, two legal substances, alcohol and tobacco, not only are physically addictive, but can both lead to death. Moreover, they can harm the third party, as in drunk driving and second-hand smoke, in contrast to marijuana which has no effect on the third party, but only the individual. The only negative effect one can find of marijuana is the illegal drug trade, which is dangerous. Drug trafficking not only results in gangs and violence, but the incarceration of many Americans. The legalization of marijuana would not only eliminate the danger of the illegal drug trade, but halt the imprisonment of a substantial number of potential harmless drug offenders. It is baffling when drugs like salvia, a hallucinogen, are legal and marijuana is not. It seems that “The War on Drugs”, at least in the terms of marijuana, is the prosecution of the uninformed against the individual’s clear right to personal freedom.